woensdag 1 juni 2016

Interview Dana karanelan



Interview


Dana Karanelan



Name: Dana Karanelan (Dana Dead Girl)
Bodycult, Amsterdam

Can you discribe yourself in one sentence?
Helpfull and friendly

How long have you been a piercer?

I pierce since 2010







Why this profession?
Six years ago a piercer from Bodycult asked me  if I wanted to do an apprenticeship, they needed new piercers, I just lost my job at a online webshop as designer, marketing. This was a great opportunity for me.

How or from who did you learn the skills?
By following the apprenticeship at Bodycult, first shadowing and learning the regulations, set ups and later on slowly started to pierce. I had 3 months of training 4/5 days a week 10 hours a day.

The first piercing you did was a?
I honestly don't know, at my training I did 15-20 piercings a day

Who or what inspires you?
The people around me

Can you tell me something about your workplace?
At the moment I work in Amsterdam, Reguliersbreestraat, one day a week as piercer, the smallest studio of Bodycult, but the busiest with piercings. rest of the week Iam the floormanager. Been working for the last 5 years at the Bodycult studio Warmoestraat as fulltime piercer. and often worked at our other locations in Utrecht and Den Haag.

Which piercing do you prefer to do?
I like to do almost every piercing

What's the best piece of advice you ever got when you started out and think it would help other starters in this industry?
The more relaxed you are as piercer, the faster your customer is also at ease.

A lot of patience because people trust you that it is done well.

Do you have a nice or weird experience as a piercer you want to share with us?
Every day something funny or weird happens. But I do remember, the first customer who fainted in the first week I worked full time alone.
The client wanted a large eyebrow piercing, so I followed all my steps to procede and when I was done with the piercing, he stood up and falls down. I was pretty fast to catch him but didn't realize it was dead weight, so there I laid on the floor with the customer on me, calling out to my colleagues, who rescued me.
Fortunately my customer and I had nothing.

Does your work involve more then just piercing?
Like I said above, I also work a number of days as floor manager, also opening and closing shop. Greet customers, post appointments and all things floor managers do in a tattoo/piercing shop. 

And sometimes I do photoshoots as an alternative model. I used to do it for webshops and stores as a model, and also have been in magazines a number of times. But that's really a hobby.


How do you see yourself in 5 years? I see myself still doing this job. Possibly as a piercer and shop manager. A lot of people always ask whether or not I want to open my own shop because my boyfriend is a tattoo artist. (Joe Sinner operating at Acid Tattoo Alkmaar) But that's not really the plan.
There are enough shops in our frogy country.

Do you have a tip or do you want to add something to this interview?
You can find my work on facebook

www.bodycult.nl

-Answers and photo's: Dana Karanelan
Angie
-Published Tattoo Planet eMagazine 110/june2016