maandag 31 juli 2017

Interview Ferry Scharn

Name: Ferry Scharn, owner of Le Sting Piercings in Utrecht (NL)

Can you describe yourself in one sentence?
I am very patient and love a friendly approach.

How long have you been piercer?
Just one year. I opened my studio at the end of March 2016.

Why this profession?
Due to circumstances I could no longer perform my work as a teacher and was looking for something where I could continue as my own boss. My wife had just opened up a tattoo shop with a friend and said that they could use a piercer. Never realized to be a piercer  but this was a chance I took with both hands. I've always had great affinity with piercings. I used to have a number of piercings in my teen years. I was even pointed at on the street because I had a eyebrow piercing. Now I have some piercings but  I notice it isn't convenient with sport and wearing a helmet, or playing with my children, so I keep with what I have. Maybe I became a piercer in a diffrent way then others, but I do not miss to passion when it comes to piercings.
How or from whom did you learned the skills?Asking near shops  for an apprenticeship. (If you are a piercer, reading this then you know how those requests go haha). Shops don't give away apprenticeships, mostly they know you as friend before they even take you as a pupil. After a long search I found someone who wanted to educate me. Someone with 20 years of experience and we hit it off well. After the apprenticeship we still keep in touch and I can still ask questions.

What was your first piercing?
I have used to studied animal care so I actually think that my first piercing was an ear tag on a little calf, haha. But on people; a helix.


Who or what inspires you?
People of the APP,  everyone with knowledge, patience and kindness.
People like Brian Skellie and Luis Garcia.


Can you  tell something about your studio/workplace?
I have my own shop in the tattoo studio "The Ink Society". I rent an enclosed area and I'm my  own boss. We are in the Centre of Utrecht.
The shop is large, bright and open. Customers feel at ease immediately.

What type of piercing do you prefer?
No preference. A helix gets  as much attention as any other piercing. Although secretly I like doing dermals and surface piercings.


What is the best piece of advice you ever got when you started out and think it would help other starters in this industry?
Don't do piercings when you feel uncomfortable. Customer is King, but you decide.
And forever learning.


You have a nice or weird  experience you'd like to share?

A 75 year old man came in for a hafada ladder with 3 barbells,  now he's saving up for 3 more haha. All the power to him. So nice to see that it is no age range. (over 18 years of course).

Does your work  involve more than just piercing?
I'm my own boss and run the piercing area self. I also do orders, administration etc etc.
In addition, I help the tattoo studio with their orders and help customers who come in.


How do you see yourself in 5 years?
I want to learn learn learn even more .... like I said: forever learning. Learn new techniques.
Possible a high end shop, perhaps even APP member. Who knows.
I would also like eventually to learn branding and scarifications.

Do you have a tip or do you want to add something to this interview?
It amazes me that so many piercers give different aftercare advice,
of soaps, ointments, or nothing at all,  cleaning with own urine.
Hello!!! Really .... With your own urine???
Well, I love it but sterile saline (saline).

Thank you so much for this interview.

http://lestingpiercings.nl/

-Angie
Pictures and answers: Ferry Scharn
-Published Tattoo Planet eMagazine 122/June 2017