zondag 28 februari 2016

Interview Bart Bastiaanse

Interview


Name
Bart Bastiaanse
Owner and piercer at Tribal Trading Tilburg (NL)


Describe yourself in 1 sentence?
Pain is not importent, only results counts and anything goes

How long have you been piercer?
I pierce since 1998

Why this profession?
Before I became a piercer, I had an import bussinus in jewelry, which I bought from Indian tribes. The interest in piercing jewelry was already there. Piercing scene in America was already big, but not mainstream but a living scene. I was caught up in this scene and it's  rarities. Back in Holland I was determined to learn the skills and open a shop.

How did you learn the trade?
I've been searching for a good piercer, but that wasn't easy, to find a good piercer in those days. Via via I found a professional female piercer who taught me the basics, after that full with excitemend I opened up a shop and started.

What was your first piercing you pierced?
My first I ever did, not counting all the stabs I did on myself was a inner conch piercing on my friend. soon after that they let me pierce alone, and I did pierce everything who came in, slowly I learned more and got more skills.

Who or what inspires you?
My big example is Steve Haworth, I took some workshops from him to learn some techniques
He is a man with a mission. Piercing is something you don't just do extra, but it is a call and a profession.

Can you tell something about your studio/ workplace?

I work in a cosy small studio together with my tattoo artist Shennaki.
I have a separate piercing space, with a door, some piercings are intimate or clients like there privacy so I can close it. It's nice to have your own space, and clients appreciate that.



What kind of piercing do you prefer to do?
I pierce everything what they ask, if I find some piercing as risk I discuss it with the client, and they decide to choose to go further with it. But I like to do almost every piercing. I also give piercing shows for big conventions like Frankfurt,Brussel,Barcelona, ... It's very fun to do, people who are amazed, disgusting or enjoy your special creations. and it is a nice switch of the daily job. But sometimes I get people come in with the weirdest ideas, that I have to think over, a challenge that gives your work something extra.

Do You have a separate story or experience you'd like to share?
Have enough stories, but the great thing about piercings, is that almost everyone walks out with a smile and is happy. After the frightened and nerve-racking moments before eventually everyone is happy again, that remains a special feeling.

A very nice experience was, I went to Mexico for a few months, in the Pacific on the coast working as a piercer in a tattoo shop. Great to be in a different culture to be able to do your thing!

Does your work involves more then just piercing?
In the shop I rule all posts and mails of the tattoo artists. So piercer/floor manager is the best description. Further I organise a regular piercing course, for people who want to learn or want to box training in certain things. 

How do you see yourself in 5 years?
Somewhere on a mountain in the Azores, "minding my own business" haha

Do you have a tip or do you want to add something to this interview
Go for piercings to a real piercer. Cheap jewelry shops in the city are no piercers, they give wrong advice and that often leads to problems. It is your body, be good to it.

-Answers and photos: Bart Bastiaanse
Angie
Published in Tattoo Planet Magazine 100 /augustus 2015