zaterdag 8 oktober 2016

Interview Cas Willems



Name Cas Willems
Owner and piercer at Studio One Spirit Collective in Arnhem (NL)

Can you describe yourself in one sentence?
No, actually I can't.


How long have you been piercer?
Around 9 years.

Why this profession?
Because there's nothing more beautiful than this. Ever since I was little, I had a fascination on how people express themselves. Over the years I learned more and more about self-expression and the different ways people do that. And from the first time I saw a tattooed and pierced person, I was fascinated by that image and started my adventurous journey in the body modification. This is my passion since childhood and I'm blessed that hard work and perseverance have brought me there where I am now.

How or from whom did you learn the skills?

I spent years searching for a good artist or studio who wanted me and could learn what I was looking for. You need an awful lot of determination, will power, research and need for openmindedness. Because you're never done learning, even in general life. So, this mindset is extremely important: continue to learn, every single day!

The first piercing you did was a ?
Earlobe on a good friend of mine.

Who or what inspires you?
Life and most importantly my family. But as for piercing, the APP (Association of Professional Piercers), and especially it's ex-president Brian Skellie.

Can you tell me something about your studio/workspace?

One Spirit Collective is the brainchild of Swan, Andy and myself. We are a collective of artists working together with one thought, one goal in mind: One Spirit.

Swan is my wife, who works under the name Swandala. She creates art and tattoos mainly in earthy and natural (dotwork) designs.

Andy is our colleague for many years and he works under the name Zafar-One. He makes tight graphics and is really in its own style with psychedelic influences. We were the very first piercing studio in The Netherlands that only worked with internally threaded jewelry. Quality is of paramount importance to us, that reflects in our approach and choices of our jewellery, aftercare products and opinions. Meet us at: www.OneSpiritCollective.com.

What kind of piercing do you prefer?
The beauty of my job is that no person or placement is the same. And I don't have a favorite piercing, every prick is a new experience and new story.

What's the best piece of advice you ever got when you started out and think it would help other starters in this industry?
Advice, I have little but experience I have gained enough. Trust your gut and be open to other approaches and other people's opinion. The moment you no longer accept anything else or think you're done learning, that's the moment you'll find yourself lashing. Learn of every setback and enjoy every victory. Push yourself every day to be better then the day before.

Does your work involve more than just piercing?

I also create geometric works of art, sell quality jewelry and do scarification sporadically.


How do you see yourself in 5 years?

5 years older and wiser.

Do you have a tip or do you want to add something to this interview?

You have only one body, take good care of it and treat it with respect. Go for quality, trust your gut and dare to ask.

info@OneSpiritCollective.com
www.OneSpiritCollective.com


Angie
-Answers and photo's: Cas Willems
-Published Tattoo Planet eMagazine 114/October2016