donderdag 3 maart 2016

Story behind a known piercer/mod artist Bethrah Szumski

Bethrah Szumski
Story behind a known piercer/ bodymod


I've been working full time since I was seventeen years old. My early jobs as a hostess and waitress taught me to work efficiently with a cordial attitude and an eye towards product consistency.
I received my tattoo apprenticeship from my former husband Cap Szumski. After moving with him to Atlanta in late 1994 I both apprenticed at and helped open Timeless Tattoo (www.timeless-tattoo.com) . 

My position in the studio evolved into a management roll including tattooing, front desk, paperwork, supply ordering and artist hiring. I devoted a great deal of time to keeping the studio current on health and safety related issues. I introduced Caretech products, air purifiers and autoclave spore testing to name just a few.  January 2000 brought the purchase of Pain and Wonder Tattoo (www.painandwonder.com) in Athens, GA.
I have been piercing since 1995. After completing my Gauntlet course work I was mentored by Elayne Angel (www.piercingbible.com) who has continued to provide both professional and personal support throughout my career.
I founded Virtue and Vice Body Piercing (www.virtueandvice.com) in 1995, which operated from the Timeless Tattoo location and then from Pain and Wonder after its acquisition.

In an effort to keep up with current piercing related information I became a member of the Association of Professional Piercers (APP) (www.safepiercing.org) in 1996. My roll shortly switched from student to teacher when in 1998 I was appointed as Secretary of the APP. I immediately instituted the Association's first elections and was duly elected to the position. I served a full three year term during which (among other things)
I reviewed applications for membership from applicants world wide, giving me an eye for appropriate studio set-up. I was then elected to the position of President, I served an additional three year term in that position. 
During my tenure with the A.P.P. I helped organize 16 US conferences and two in Europe. My conference duties at various points included contract negotiation, attendee registration, promotion, literature distribution, financial officer, event scheduling, vendor relations and floor-plan and hotel and union relations just to name a few.  
I have also provided countless courses of education to piercers, health care providers and law-makers. I am the recipient of the Presidents Award,  the Associations Award of Appreciation and was voted Hardest Working Piercer in 2005.

In 2005 I obtained full ownership of Pain and Wonder Tattoo and Body Piercing and moved my Atlanta piercing location, Virtue and Vice Inc., three doors down from its original location within Timeless Tattoo and expanded my service range to include Permanent Cosmetics.
In May of 2008 I returned to service within the Association of Professional Piercers Board of Directors as its Secretary. Since her election she has, most notably, restructured the Association’s annual conference planning by establishing a Conference Committee and provided educational outreach courses in Italy, Germany and Mexico. 
I stepped down from the office of Secretary in June of 2015 and am in the process of organizing the APP's first ever member's retreat for advanced level curriculum.

Bethrah Szumski

www.safepiercing.org


-Photos and story: Bethrah Szumski
Angie
-Published Tattoo Planet E Magazine 105/ Januari 2016



Me & Bethrah(Essen'15)