dinsdag 1 maart 2016

Interview Renee Donners

Interview

Name:
Renee Donners
owner and piercer at "Staal en Inkt "vof te Heerlen (NL)

Can you describe yourself in 1 sentence?
Friendly, helpful and creative.


How long have you been piercer?
Since two years professionally.

Why this profession?
It's a challenge every day, every body is different and you have to keep that in mind, and I like that. And I also like to be among people, and to let each customer go out the door satisfied.

How did you learned the trade?
My husband, Ed Donners, with whom I run the studio for several years, is a professional piercer. And I rolled in it The first time I pierced  under the guidance of Ed, which ultimately grew into my current job. In addition, we never stop learning, there are always new techniques on the market and it's always nice to be able to exchange information with other piercers. And it's important to regularly refresh old information.

What was your first piercing you pierced?
An earlobe. With needle, we don't use guns!

Who or what inspires you?
Brian Skellie, Ryan Oulette, Bethra Szumski, Elayne Angel. These are a few names, where I've gained a lot of information from, and what I now practice in use.

Can you tell us something about your studio/workspace?
"Staal and inkt" is located in the Centre of Heerlen. My husband and I have been owner of the studio since december 2014.
At steel and inkt we have two tattoo artists as self-employed professionals and a tattoo apprentice. The studio contains two floors, with the upper floor as piercing space, so we can offer  privacy to the customer.


What type of piercing do you prefer? 
I have not directly a preference for a piercing that I prefer.

What is the best advice you've ever received as a novice piercer, and want to give assistance to other who start in this industry?
Not everybody is the same, always take a good look at the anatomy of the body to see what the possibilities are.
To the starting: Create distinction between you and all those other studios what you want to do. Be a reputable piercer, learn don't just screw around!

Do you have a separate story or experience you'd like to share?
That's the great thing about the job,  every day you make fun and have separate experiences with it. Every customer is different, everyone reacts differently to a situation. What I always like about it is when parents with their daughters, +/-7-year-old, come in to do the ear lobes. First of all, I think it is always very nice that parents have enhance in the difference between piercing and shooting of piercings, and that gives me the confidence to pierce the ear lobes of their children.
And the kids never give a kick ☺

Does you work involves more then just piercing?
My work consists of more than just piercing. Next to piercing I do magnetic implant, RFID chips, and regularly busy with scarifications. We also organize 2 or 3 times a year suspension days.
And next to the fun work also administration.

How do you see yourself in 5 years?
5 years I see myself still in the same place. I trust that the display cases are filled with even more quality jewelry.
We already have a large assortment of Industrial Strength, Gorilla Glass, Evolve and Diablo Organics jewelry, but there can always be more ☺
you can never have enough beautiful jewelry.


Do you have a tip or do you want to add something to this interview?
Getting a piercing?  Inform in advance is a good thing, where do they use high-quality jewelry, which ultimately is  better for healing. Do not run in the first best studio, unfortunately there are still enough studios/ piercer who skimp.
Piercing seems so easy, just making a hole, but there is so much more to it.

-Answers and Photos: R. Donners
Angie
-Published Tattoo Planet E Magazine 101 september 2015