vrijdag 13 mei 2016

Interview Sharon looy

Sharon Looy
Interview

Name: Sharon Looy (Stainless Sharon)
Dare 2 Wear, Amsterdam, Jordaan
CLASSIC Ink & Mods, Amsterdam, bij de Dam

Can you describe yourself in one sentence?

I live for arts and beauty, I'm a perfectionist, serious, creative and free minded.

How long have you been a piercer?

Since 1996, so 20 years!



Why this profession?
I'm made for this profession; pierced holes in my ears and nose when I was a child and already had 7 piercings at the age of 7! And I grew up in a jewelry shop; called Sharon Bijoutiek haha.

How or from who did you learned the skills? An American piercer at Body Manipulations (the first professional piercing shop in the Netherlands) thought me piercing and later learned a great deal by various guest spots in America and Japan. 
And of course through the all seminars off the APP in Las Vegas and BMX in Germany.




The first piercing you did was a?
Bellybutton or tong piercing.. It was long time ago, but both placed on my brother.

Who or what inspires you?
All forms of beauty; art, jewelry, piercings, tattoos, all cultures, clothing, travel, my family. And of course my stores and the people who work there!

Can you tell me something about your workplace?
Dare 2 Wear, I own it since 2003 and will always be my 1st child. Easily accessible and just beautiful quality jewelry. Only here pierced by a professional piercer really comes into its own. CLASSIC Ink & Mods is my 2nd shop (the big brother), here we also provide tattoos and do body modifications. This shop is very inspiring with creative and nice people and there's always a good vibe.



Which piercing do you prefer to do? 
A lip frenum/smiley is my favourite piercing to do. Because it's very nice and it's a virtually painless and easy piercing, both to convert as to heal.

What's the best piece of advice you ever got when you started out and think it would help other starters in this industry? Always be open to other/new techniques, materials, jewelry knowledge etc. There is always room for improvement and the customer is King.

Do you have a nice or weird experience as a piercer you want to share with us?
I've been in San Francisco, pierced a man around the age of 70, so after healing, he could wear an ornament he got of his secret lover.

Does your work involve more then just piercing?

Yes, I also do earlobe cutting, scarification, beading, tongue splitting and piercing training when we need a new piercer. I'm also manager of my 2 shops.



How do you see yourself in 5 years? 
Hope to have more time for myself, haha! And I would like to have my own jewelry company, where I make my dream piercing jewelry for my stores and also for other professional shops

Do you have a tip or want to add something to this interview?
I'm thankful to my team, for their effort and positivity and enthusiasm!


www.dare2wear.nl
www.classicinkandmods.com


















-answers and photos:Sharon Looy
Angie
-Published Tattoo Planet eMagazine 109/may 2016